Asafetida, sometimes referred to as hing, is a spice that is frequently used in Indian cooking. The act of restricting or lessening hing flow is referred to as “hing blocks.”
When used in place of garlic and onions in recipes, asafetida has a strong flavor and scent.
It has a powerful and distinctive flavor that has been compared to a deathly odor and is bitter and lightly sweet. The spice is frequently used in vegetarian recipes like lentil and bean curries because it improves the flavor and digestibility of those foods.
Asafetida resin is made from the stem of the asafetida plant. It is possible to extract the resin by making incisions in the stem and allowing the sap flow outThe sap is collected, then dried in the sun to produce chunky pieces.
The resin is cleaned to get rid of any impurities or debris after it has dried. Then, a grinder or a mortar and pestle are used to grind it into a fine powder.
A binding agent, such as rice flour or wheat flour, is added to the ground asafetida powder. The mixture is then kneaded into a dough-like consistency. Some recipes may also include other spices or herbs for additional flavor
The dough is formed into little cubes or blocks and left to dry in the sun for several days. The blocks’ flavor is maintained while the drying process helps to harden the blocks.
Once the blocks are dry, they are kept in a cold, dry location in an airtight container. To make the desired quantity for a recipe, hing blocks can be grated or crumbled.
- Asafetida is commonly used as a digestive aid in traditional medicine. It can help to relieve flatulence, bloating, and constipation. Asafetida has carminative properties, which means that it helps to expel gas from the intestines.
- Asafetida has anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it beneficial for reducing inflammation in the body. It can be used to alleviate pain and swelling caused by conditions like rheumatoid arthritis, asthma, and bronchitis.
- It has antimicrobial properties, which means that it can help fight off harmful bacteria and fungi. It can be used to treat infections like coughs, colds, and respiratory infections.
- Asafetida has been shown to have blood sugar-lowering effects, which makes it beneficial for people with diabetes. It can help to regulate insulin levels and improve glucose tolerance.
- Asafetida can be used to alleviate menstrual cramps and other symptoms associated with menstruation. It has antispasmodic properties, which help to relax the muscles and relieve pain.
Best Organic Online Bangalore : Hing / Asafetida is available in Kaadu Organics
Click here : Kaadu Hing Blocks and Powder